Hi Tim, thanks for your answer.
I'd like your opinion about the amount of memory needed for a repository
with about 20000 items. Maybe 2GB for the heap isn't enough (the PermGem
has a limit of 256MB).

Now, I wonder why tomcat log those errors when I stop it  ( The web
application [] created a ThreadLocal with key of type
[java.lang.ThreadLocal] (value [java.lang.ThreadLocal@**4b70ca96]) and a
value of type [org.apache.cocoon.**serialization.XMLSerializer] (value
[org.apache.cocoon.**serialization.XMLSerializer@**5a04648b]) but failed to
remove it when the web application was stopped. This is very likely to
create a memory leak.).
Also, assuming 2GB is enough heap memory, it's at least suspect that the
Old Gen memory keeps growing up to the memory limit and never gets Garbage
collected ...

Regards.
Nestor