On Mon, Jun 10, 2013 at 2:57 PM, Mark H. Wood <mw...@iupui.edu> wrote:
> Further to this, I think that "Tomcat x.y" is really just an example
> of what we really depend on:  servlet-api x.y and jsp-api x.y.
> Probably we should document it that way, giving examples of Tomcat,
> Jetty, and Resin versions which meet the API requirements.

Hi Mark,

you shouldn't forget that we can run into issues with new versions of
Tomcat, like we did with Tomcat 7. So although we could recommend any
future Tomcat version based on servlet-api support, in practice we
will want to test it and confirm that it works.

OTOH, we're quite untimely about testing new versions - take the
example of postgres 9.x, where we have only 2 confirmations that it
works successfully (no reports of problems), even though in theory it
should. That's the only reason why nobody bumped the number in the
official docs yet.

Regards,
~~helix84