On Wed, Oct 9, 2013 at 11:23 PM, Claudia Juergen
<claudia.juer...@ub.tu-dortmund.de> wrote:
> Meanwhile the community has grown and both UI's are used and developed not
> in sync but on a more or less equal level.
>
> So, apart from completely new developments, can one assume, that for the
> next couple of releases both UI's will be supported?

Hi Claudia,

it definitely seems so. There are both users and commiters who use
both JSPUI and XMLUI and at any point in time, one or the other is
in ahead development in some respects, but overall, both progress
steadily.

I'm confident this will continue to be so for the next few years and
when someone starting with DSpace asks which one is better, I
recommend them to
1) choose based on features currently available, if there are some
UI-specific ones they need
2) if they're going to do more than basic customization, go with the
technology they're most familiar with (JSP vs. XSLT).

In the future, with Solr and REST API, I foresee that this landscape
will become even more diverse with other UIs (maybe task-specific
ones, not necessarily full-featured) popping up, written in other
popular languages/platforms.

Regards,
~~helix84