The first release candidate for DSpace 4.0 has been tagged and is now
available for your testing pleasure.

o  Find it running on http://demo.dspace.org

o  Get it from SourceForge:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/dspace/files/DSpace%20Release%20Candidate/dspace-4.0-rc1/

o  or check out tag dspace-4.0-rc1 from GitHub and build your very own copy.

The developers would appreciate hearing about your experience with it,
so that we can offer you the best final release.

On Tue, Oct 29, 2013 at 05:03:46PM -0400, Mark H. Wood wrote:
> The first Release Candidate for DSpace 4.0 will soon be available for
> testing.  Some new features that might interest you include:
>
>   - A new look and feel for JSPUI, with several other improvements
>   - A number of features of XMLUI have been ported to JSPUI
>   - A REST API exposing repository objects
>   - Support for automatically creating DOIs during ingestion.
>
> There's much more.  Please see the Release Notes at:
>
>   https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/DSpace+Release+4.0+Notes
>
> ATTENTION ORACLE SITES:
>
> Hi, sorry to shout at you, but now that we have your attention, please
> do plan on testing the release candidates of DSpace 4.0 on your own
> infrastructure. We'd like to minimize the surprises on the day that
> 4.0 is officially released, and the best way to do that is with your
> help. If at all possible, please consider testing DSpace 4.0, to
> ensure it is compatible with Oracle. Ideally, this would mean testing
> a new install, and an upgrade. Thanks!
>
> INVITATION TO TRANSLATORS:
>
> If you are willing to translate DSpace message catalogs into another
> language:  the 4.0 catalogs should be nearly stable now.
>
> TESTATHON and NEXT STEPS:
>
> We plan to tag RC1 on 31-Oct-2013.  There will be another
> announcement when it is ready for download.  If you would like to try
> out the next release of DSpace in your own test environment, please
> do, and tell us what you find.
>
> The following Monday, 04-Nov-2013, begins the 4.0 Testathon, which
> continues through the 15th.  RC1 will be available on
> http://demo.dspace.org.  You can try it out without installing your
> own instance, and your feedback would be appreciated.  Look for the
> red Feedback button to report issues with the demo. site.
>
> The actual use of a software product is always more varied and
> surprising than the developers and maintainers imagined.  Please help
> us ensure that DSpace 4.0 will do what you expect.
>
> --
> Mark H. Wood, DSpace 4.0 Release Coordinator

> List Etiquette:

Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.