I want to look over this posting more carefully, but I did want to get
one thought out quickly.  Please, let's not overload Handles even
more.  There are sites, I've heard, that would like to do away with
Handles and use something else for durable universally-unique external
identifiers. That's hard to do if we wire Handles into everything.

What we want, it seems to me, is an additional durable identifier
which requires only local uniqueness and has *no meaning* in
isolation.  The last property excludes Handles and DB IDs alike.  What
this means is that we need, probably, just a simple serial number
facility, which is used to name every object created.  These names are
not used internally by DSpace (as DB IDs are); they exist solely for
users to identify "that object you mentioned before".

This way, those names can be permanent (unlike DB IDs), don't tie us
to specific external services (like Handles), and can't tie us down to
specific internal organization (like either).

--
Mark H. Wood, Lead System Programmer   mw...@iupui.edu
Machines should not be friendly.  Machines should be obedient.