Hi Graham,

In all honesty, I agree with your points (in this email and others)
about our assumptions about IDs and that we aren't necessarily providing
all the proper "guarantees" needed for persistent IDs.

My main point here is that we need to find something that is still
*achievable* for 4.0.

Brainstorming a longer term resolution (which you see to be), is also a
great exercise. But it's not realistic in terms of fixing/improving the
REST API in time for 4.0 (unless we were to delay 4.0, which I don't
think anyone wants to do). It's great for figuring out what we may want
to change in 5.0, however.

So, I agree with your points. We aren't doing a 100% perfect job of
persistent IDs anyhow, and a lot is reliant on the DSpace installation
(and whether they've purchased a handle prefix or not).

But, based on what we have in place currently, I don't see any other
short term fix for 4.0 other than to allow the REST API to work with
[prefix]/[suffix] (even if we cannot guarantee that the [prefix] is a
unique registered prefix). It's still not "perfect", but it's better
than only using Database IDs (which are less obtainable to users, and
unable to be restored by AIP tools as they are currently primary keys)

- Tim