On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 11:02:12AM +0000, Becker, Pascal-Nicolas wrote:
> I'm currently working on DS-1965 (https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-1965).
> It targets the issue that the start and end date of a ResourcePolicy can't be
> changed/set/removed in the administration interface of the JSPUI. This is
> problematic if you use Embargo in JSPUI.
>
> While it is quite easy to resolve this problem I have two questions regarding
> the policy dates in DSpace:
>  1) In DSpace 3.0 the advanced Embargo was introduced and the way Embargos
> are implemented in DSpace changed. Before 3.0 we had an embargo lifter and
> Embargo end dates. 3.0 introduced start Dates for permissions, so that
> Resource Policies don't have to be changed by an embargo lifter anymore. Is
> there a reason why we still support End Dates for Resource Policies?

My reading of the current documentation
(https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC5x/Embargo#Embargo-Pre-DSpace3.0EmbargoCompatibility)
suggests that Advanced Embargo did not replace the original scheme,
but lives alongside it, probably to ease migration to the new method.
Apparently the original embargo code has been extended to handle
'ResourcePolicy's but still uses its own fields.

Perhaps it is time to deprecate the original embargo method and set a
release for its removal?

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst