Once upon a time, I built a proxy license submission step. A penultimate
step step that lets admin users upload a file "by proxy". And so they are
uploading a signed document (PDF)
https://github.com/osulibraries/DSpace/blob/osukb/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/submit/step/UploadLicenseStep.java

Nobody views that license / file. Its only for legal/archival purposes for
(in case) someone challenges how the repository obtained the original
document.

I guess another question you are asking is should the system store
presentation information (markup / html), or should it be plain text.
Another question is what's the purpose of the license? Just to present
something better looking to the user before they click "I agree"? You could
try to render the license within the license acceptance page. PDF's have
better success at rendering than doc.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/14690000/embed-pdf-in-html5

Peter Dietz
Longsight