Hmm. There is always the REST API. If you have some sort of existing
structure information, you could built a tool that sends lots of requests
that create this structure in your DSpace via REST.

Some bash scripts, that for example create communities and collections,
using REST.
https://github.com/DSpace-Labs/dspace-rest-requests

I would probably build this in a friendly language, such as
python/php/java, rather than pure bash, as you would likely need to add
programming logic.

Peter Dietz
Longsight
www.longsight.com