On Tue, Dec 8, 2015 at 8:49 PM, Feed My Lambs Esq.
<victor.replo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> java.io.WinNTFileSystem.canonicalize0 (6-8 seconds)
> java.io.WinNTFileSystem.getBooleanAttributes (inFile.exists()) (~1 second)
> StardardRoot.java (~1 second)
>
> Is there a reason DSpace would launch a check like this every ~20 seconds?
> Or could Tomcat have a reason to launch something to find out if a file
> exists?

If you defined your webapp Contexts in
[tomcat]/conf/Catalina/localhost (as opposed to server.xml), Tomcat
should check periodically whether those files have been modified so
that it can load/unload/reload contexts. Whether Tomcat will be
notified of changes or will poll for changes will be platform
specific.

I don't think anything in DSpace does such regular checks as of DSpace
5. DSpace 6 may introduce such checks.

Unfortunately nothing else that could answer your other questions
occurs to me at the moment. Please do share your findings with various
Tomcat / Java versions. It might be useful to someone, especially
because I don't think there are too many people running on Windows in
production.

Regards,
~~helix84