Hi Keith,

For a great intro to SWORD this is a good place to start - especially the SWORD
course section: http://swordapp.org/

For DSpace you must ensure your SWORD/SWORDv2 config files are correct and that
you have a valid service document, since that is what any client will use to
connect and deposit to your repository. Yours is at
http://udspace.udel.edu/swordv2/servicedocument and it requires a login to the
repository in order to display/download. If you want to use SWORD, the user
must have DSpace deposit rights to the repository to connect and upload
deposits.

Which client you use is entirely up to you, it will depend on your comfort with
various programming languages.

I have been testing various SWORDv2 clients in order to update our DSpace 5
repository from our CRIS system. There have been issues with almost all the
ones I have tried with multipart deposits and/or file upload sizes. Currently I
am using the python client from here:
https://bitbucket.org/beno/python-sword2/overview

There are some excellent directions for use in the wiki - I am going to see if
I can set a retry on the package upload code since I have mixed success with
any file size over 80MB. Anything smaller appears to work fine. We have been
having issues with file timeouts for  uploads using Tomcat 7 or later although
it seems to work fine with Tomcat 6. I suspect that might be due to some
changes to Tomcat using Servlet 3 and/or memory handling.

I have previously used the PHP EasyDeposit client with mixed success - if you
are only looking to deposit items and not change them or update/delete them
then you might like this implementation since it's SWORD although I think there
might be  an updated version for SWORDv2.

The best place to look is github for updated client developments of code
https://github.com/swordapp

although sourceforge still has the original downloads and mailing list info
https://sourceforge.net/projects/sword-app/

You will find Python, Java, Ruby and PHP clients/API and servers for SWORD and
SWORD2 on github.

A lot of the original coding work was done by Richard Jones
(https://cottagelabs.com/people/richard )and Stuart Lewis
(https://github.com/stuartlewis who still maintains the PHP library)

You can also subscribe to the swordapp-tech mailing list
(https://sourceforge.net/p/sword-app/mailman/sword-app-tech /) although it is
really low traffic at the moment.

If you have any further questions you are welcome to email me off list. :)

Cheers,
Shannon

Shannon Searle
Library Systems Integration and Development Officer
Building 70, Barrington Library
Cranfield University, SN6 8LA
s.sea...@cranfield.ac.uk<mailto:s.sea...@cranfield.ac.uk>