Hi,
this behavior is documented in
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC5x/REST+API quoting:

"In DSpace 5, the REST API adds authentication, allows Creation, Update,
and Delete to objects, can access restricted materials if authorized, and
it requires SSL. For localhost development purposes, SSL can add additional
getting-started difficulty, so security can be disabled. To disable DSpace
REST's requirement to require security/ssl, alter
[dspace]/webapps/rest/WEB-INF/web.xml or
[dspace-source]/dspace-rest/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/web.xml and comment out
the security-constraint block, and restart your servlet container.
Production usages of the REST API should use SSL, as authentication
credentials should not go over the internet unencrypted."

Regards,
Ondrej Kosarko