From: "Tim Donohue" <tdono...@duraspace.org<mailto:tdono...@duraspace.org>>
To: "Tom Avino" <tomav...@gmail.com<mailto:tomav...@gmail.com>>; "DSpace Technical Support"
<dspace-tech@googlegroups.com<mailto:dspace-tech@googlegroups.com>>
Cc: "ORIOL OLIVÉ COMADIRA" <oriol.ol...@udg.edu<mailto:oriol.ol...@udg.edu>>
Sent: 06/06/2016 20:30:30
Subject: Re: [dspace-tech] Upgrade to Dspace 5.5 causes error when accessing
e-person

Hi Tom,

Based on the error, it seems like the new "eperson" metadata registry wasn't
created properly when you upgraded.  You can (manually) create it by running:

bin/dspace registry-loader -metadata config/registries/eperson-types.xml

To clarify, all of these new registry updates should have occurred
*automatically* when you upgraded to 5.5.  All of the scripts that Oriol listed
should be automatically triggered as part of the upgrade process.  However, it
sounds like something may have failed (or was interrupted) during your upgrade
and these new metadata fields were *not* successfully created.

You may wish to manually run each of those scripts listed (just in case another
failed to run as well).  They can be run manually, and only require the
database to be started up. It is safe to run them *after* your upgrade,
assuming everything else ran properly.  You can also check the status of your
database upgrades by running:

bin/dspace database info

(If the rest of the upgrade succeeded, you should see a state of "Success" next
to each upgrade step listed in the output table.)

The reason these scripts are not listed in the documentation is that they are
supposed to run automatically. It's hard to say why they failed to run during
your upgrade (my guess is an error may have been thrown in your logs that would
give more information).

As for your question about the database upgrade process: As of DSpace 5, the database
will auto-upgrade the first time you startup Tomcat.  However, if you still want to
upgrade your database manually, you can trigger the upgrade manually (prior to starting
Tomcat) by simply running "bin/dspace database migrate".  This information is
all listed in the 5.x documentation under step 10:
https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC5x/Upgrading+DSpace

Good luck,

Tim