Hi Jose,

DSpace displays a lock icon by default for any items which are access restricted. If you are using the latest Embargo system (introduced in 3.0), then an embargo will actually place temporary access restrictions on the file. Therefore the lock icon will automatically appear while the item is under embargo, and automatically disappear once the embargo expires.

Here's an example of an Item with a locked file on our demo site (which is running Mirage 2):
http://demo.dspace.org/xmlui/handle/10673/591

The lock icon appears next to the file name. However, if you login to the system as someone who has access to the file (e.g. an Administrator), then the lock icon will disappear.

As you noted, in the XMLUI, this logic is in the item-view.xsl.

For Mirage 2, it's in the 'getFileIcon' template:

https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-5_x/dspace-xmlui-mirage2/src/main/webapp/xsl/aspect/artifactbrowser/item-view.xsl#L693

For Mirage 1, the same check is performed as part of the "mets:file" template:
https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-5_x/dspace-xmlui/src/main/webapp/themes/Mirage/lib/xsl/aspect/artifactbrowser/item-view.xsl#L419

I don't recall off the top of my head when this was added into DSpace (possibly 4.0?).

- Tim