Hi Gabriel,

As of DSpace 5, the File Description is just stored in the "dc.description" metadata field and associated with the Bitstream (File) object. Here's the getters/setters in the codebase (getDescription() and setDescription())

https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-5_x/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/content/Bitstream.java#L342

(Previous to DSpace 5, this was a hardcoded column in the database and was less easy to change)

While DSpace doesn't really have an out-of-the-box way to add more metadata fields to your Bitstreams, you could modify the Bitstream class to add additional getters/setters for additional metadata fields. Then you'd have to update your deposit forms to use those new methods to save any user input.

So, this shouldn't be too hard to achieve if you are using DSpace 5, but it would require custom code. However, if you are on DSpace 4 or below, it'd be much more difficult (as the description was stored in a database column instead of in DC based metadata).

Good luck,

Tim