Hi Xiping,
it can be solved with the DSpace-CRIS extension. You can configure the
OrgUnit entity (aka department) to support multiple names and have that
exposed as variant for the authority control framework as already done
 out-of-box with the ResearcherPage (name variants).
If you do that you can link an item to a department using any form of the
name, the name can be included in the browse index (or you can configure
the system to always store a prefered form) nevertheless all the names will
link to the same list of items.

If necessary you can also store a more sophisticated scenario where you
track the department that succeed an old one, the merge or split of
departments etc.
You will have a detailed page of all departments where the item linked to
the department are listed and the relation to the new version, split, etc.
are  shown.

Feel free to reply or contact me directly if you want discuss more details,
Andrea Bollini