Hi Monika,

On 07/06/2016 02:39 AM, Monika Mevenkamp wrote:
We are planning to bring up an DSPACE instance with faculty publications only. Proper citation information will be useful to have.  Hence the following questions:

Did anybody build a an item page enhancement that generates a properly formatted citation for an article item based on the item’s metadata and includes that in the item page’s display  ?

Yes, some of "my" repositories use a curation task for this that invokes citeproc-js. It's run in a pretty crazy way that is prone to break across Java versions / JDK vendors, so I'm not sure exactly how useful our code would be to others. But it's been working well for a few years. Some of the code is here: https://github.com/lconz-irr/Curation-Tasks but you'll also need matching versions of some citeproc-js files. I believe you need to use an older version.

Did anybody build an feature that generates downloadable citations for Items ?
I am envisioning something along the lines of what you see on publisher pages - where you choose format such as BibTex, EndNote, RefWorks and a properly formatted citation is generated

Yes, but the one repository where this is live in production is non-public. We have export to EndNote and also export to a Word document of just the citation or citation + abstract. At this point, the citation isn't "properly" formatted in that there are no italics etc; it's just taken from the item metadata and therefore plain text. In theory citeproc-js is capable of generating HTML citations I believe. This is available for individual items and also for search results (all results, one page of results, user-selected subset of a page of results). Some of the code is in http://uow-irrs.github.io/API-Extras/ (look at the api-extras_5.1.x branch) and here: http://uow-irrs.github.io/XMLUI-Extras/ (look at the xmlui-extras-5.1.x branch) but you also need to hack the main XMLUI sitemap because non-HTML/XML pipelines apparently don't work in aspect sitemaps.

Sorry that this is a bit vague, I'm pretty busy at the moment -- if you have specific questions, I may be able to help further.

cheers,
Andrea

--
Dr Andrea Schweer
Lead Software Developer, ITS Information Systems