Hi,

We have hundreds or thousands of duplicate authors that have the same
exact text_value, but show as separate authors in Discovery's author
sidebar facet. I have tried a handful of these configuration keys
(with a full discovery reindex after) on DSpace 5.1 but I never see
any change.

First I tried:

index.authority.ignore-prefered.dc.contributor.author=true
index.authority.ignore-variants.dc.contributor.author=false

Then:

index.authority.ignore=true
index.authority.ignore-prefered=true
index.authority.ignore-variants=true

Then:

discovery.index.authority.ignore-prefered.dc.contributor.author=true
discovery.index.authority.ignore-variants=true

What is the trick to getting Discovery to use author text values for
its indexes? Is this a bug that upgrading to 5.{2,3,4,5} will fix? I'm
going slightly crazy. :)

Thanks,

On Mon, Jan 4, 2016 at 11:19 PM, Andrea Bollini <a.boll...@cineca.it> wrote:
> Hi all,
> the relevant parameters are
> discovery.browse.authority.ignore-prefered
> discovery.index.authority.ignore-prefered
>
> I was probably partially wrong about the browse behavious as looking to the
> code (sorry I have had no chances to make an actual test) the metadatavalue
> is never recorded in the browse index when it is authority controlled
> see
> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/browse/SolrBrowseCreateDAO.java#L186
>
> instead the search (facets) only include the prefered form if you use default
> configuration, see
> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/discovery/SolrServiceImpl.java#L1091
>
> it looks also as the browse system is buggy when the ignore-prefered is set
> to true as probably nothing is indexed in the browse in this case. Probably
> we have fixed this bug on our dspace-cris fork and we have forget to back
> port to the basic dspace
> see
> https://github.com/Cineca/DSpace/blob/dspace-5_x_x-cris/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/browse/SolrBrowseCreateDAO.java#L224
>
> about your second question, which is the authority for authors in a
> dspace-cris instance it is the internal researcher pages database and the
> ORCID registry, in a standard DSpace istance you can configure the ORCID
> registry as first lookup for the authors name, when the item is archived the
> orcid record is recorded in a local cache solr based that is what is actually
> used as authority
> https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/master/dspace/config/dspace.cfg#L1563
>
> this mean that, at least if you no edit the metadata value directly in the
> database or using the admin edit, you cannot have an authority with a
> corresponding value different than the "prefered one". With DSpace-CRIS where
> also variants are managed out-of-box this can happen more easily.
>
> Best,
> Andrea

Alan Orth
alan.o...@gmail.com
https://englishbulgaria.net
https://alaninkenya.org
https://mjanja.ch
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." ―Friedrich Nietzsche
GPG public key ID: 0x8cb0d0acb5cd81ec209c6cdfbd1a0e09c2f836c0