On Tuesday, August 9, 2016 at 5:34:13 PM UTC-4, Anton Angelo wrote:

> If a client wants to release a copy of a document, but it is too large for
> our puny University mail server, they get the following error:
>

> "552 5.3.4 Error writing message - message size exceeds the size limit of
> 40960 blocks computed for this transaction".
>

> I’d like to change that to something like “Please get in touch with the IR
> admins”.  I can hunt this message down in the source, but is there anything
> I should be aware of as I do that?

That looks like a message from the mail server itself.  DSpace is probably
just passing it back as-is.  But you might find the place where the sending
is done, detect failure, and wrap the MTA's message in something more
helpful.

Probably you should wrap try/catch around the Transport.send(message) call
at the end of org.dspace.core.Email.send(), catching MessagingException,
and throw a new exception that wraps it, providing an appropriate message.

(The "552 5.3.4" bit is what makes me think that that is an MTA message.)

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst

University Library