A thought about reviewer access to bitstreams metadata:

After upgrading from 5.5 to 5.8 (XMLUI) we realized that reviewers were not
able to edit *metadata* for file (bitstream) description anymore.

It seems that this is now tied to the value of the reviewer.file-edit
variable in the workflow.cfg file.

When, in 5.8, we changed this value from false to true it did in fact allow
our reviewers to edit file's metadata (as defined in
dspace-xmlui\...\UploadStep.java)
BUT it also allowed the reviewers to edit/add/delete files from the
submission (as newly defined in dspace-api/.../WorkflowManager.java), an
authorization they did not have in version 5.5.

I do understand that since a submitter grants a license agreement for the
file(s) of the submitted item, that no reviewers should be able to change
these. However having a reviewer to change ONLY the metadata for the
bitstream (as he/she can do for the record's metadata (at least for step 2
or step 3 in traditionnal workflow)) is something desirable. Maybe there
should be 2 variables: reviewer.file-edit and reviewer-file-metadata-edit?

Marie-Hélène Vézina
Librarian, Université de Montréal
https://papyrus.bib.umontreal.ca