To close the problem I should say that there is no real issue with the
non-ASCII characters and OAI.

But in XOAI there is conversion between String and byte array using the
platform's default charset. Which is not always UTF-8. One can fix this
starting Java/Tomcat with
  -Dfile.encoding=UTF8

One more thing I noticed now is that in some logs in dspace.log the
non-ASCII characters are replaced by ??
To get the real non-ASCII characters one can add in log4j.properties
  log4j.appender.A1.encoding=UTF-8