Hello, Filippo.

You need to POST a MetadataEntry object with the request[0]. For example,
in DSpace 5.x this works:

$ curl -s -H "accept: application/json" -H "Content-Type: application/json"
-X POST "http://server16.iss.it:8080/rest/items/find-by-metadata-field"; -d
'{"key": "dc.contributor.author","value": "Petrini"}'

Note that the API only returns exact text matches (no wildcard), and you
will probably need to specify the language to actually match anything as
well:

$ curl -s -H "accept: application/json" -H "Content-Type: application/json"
-X POST "http://server16.iss.it:8080/rest/items/find-by-metadata-field"; -d
'{"key": "dc.contributor.author","value": "Petrini","language": "en_US"}'

The language can also be a literal null (without quotes). It all depends on
how your metadata is entered into the database.

[0] https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC5x/REST+API

Cheers,

On Tue, Aug 28, 2018 at 4:14 PM Filippo Santoro <santoro.fili...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Dear all,
> I'm using the DSpace REST APIs for an external application. I have some
> difficult to use the end point /items/find-by-metadata-field to search an
> item based on a particular metadata.
> In fact, using Postman with the following request:
>

> http://server16.iss.it:8080/rest/items/find-by-metadata-field?key=dc.contributor.author&value=Petrini
>
> I get an HTTP500 error (internal server error). What is the right syntax
> for using it?
>
> Thanks in advance
>
> Filippo

Alan Orth
alan.o...@gmail.com
https://picturingjordan.com
https://englishbulgaria.net
https://mjanja.ch
"In heaven all the interesting people are missing." ―Friedrich Nietzsche