One issue may be one pdf. One year - one item. All years - one collection.

In my case this works, because:
1. the issues are not too big
2. in the item there is a mets file where the issues are described in the
structMap. And there is a viewer which shows the item.

This is not a completely standard solution.
If you join some working group you could ask for the introduction of some
standard interface in DSpace, which allows custom item viewers to be
attached.