I haven’t seen that particular problem but I’d check into the item-view.xsl vs
the item-list.xsl for the code that creates the thumbnail – it sounds like the
two have slightly different logic.

Deborah

From: dspace-tech@googlegroups.com <dspace-tech@googlegroups.com> On Behalf Of
Alex Fletcher
Sent: Thursday, 8 November 2018 2:51 AM
To: DSpace Technical Support <dspace-tech@googlegroups.com>
Subject: [dspace-tech] 5.10 Discover/Search showing final thumbnail, not first

We have a collection of art objects/photos on our local implementation, and for
many objects, the thumbnail that appears on the search results page is taken
from the last image of the entry, rather than the first one (for example a
detail of the feet rather than of the whole work). This is a problem, because
art historians find information by looking at images, and so we have carefully
selected which is the first image, in order to generate the most helpful
thumbnail. Now, on the search results page, you are more likely to see a
secondary image (the building in which a sculpture is located or feet, or
another odd detail of a sculpture), which makes it difficult to use the
database for visual research. The odd thing is that when you click on the
entry, the thumbnail on the individual object page is taken from the first
image of the entry. So for example on this search page:

https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/discover?scope=1974/14832&rpp=10&page=6&query=Image&group_by=none&etal=0<https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/discover?scope=1974/14832&rpp=10&page=6&query=Image&group_by=none&etal=0>

And then the individual entries:

  *
https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/24713<https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/24713>
  *
https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/24700<https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/24700>
  *
https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/24701<https://qspace.library.queensu.ca/handle/1974/24701>

Has anyone come across this previously and have any advice as to how to correct
this?

Thanks,

Alex Fletcher

Queen's University Library

Kingston, Ontario, Canada
dspace-tech+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:dspace-tech+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
To post to this group, send email to
dspace-tech@googlegroups.com<mailto:dspace-tech@googlegroups.com>.
Visit this group at
https://groups.google.com/group/dspace-tech<https://groups.google.com/group/dspace-tech>.
For more options, visit
https://groups.google.com/d/optout<https://groups.google.com/d/optout>.

"The contents of this e-mail (including any attachments) may be confidential
and/or subject to copyright. Any unauthorised use, distribution, or copying of
the contents is expressly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in
error, please advise the sender by return e-mail or telephone and then delete
this e-mail together with all attachments from your system."