Group-

We're populating an XMLUI DSpace instance with test data in preparation for
its launch.  I'm exporting metadata from a collection containing a mix of
items.  Certain fields' contents are, when viewed in the sheet exported,
followed by a range of bracketed qualifiers.

We have...

dc.description.abstract
and
dc.description.abstract[]

also...

dc.publisher[]
and
dc.publisher[en_US]

We also have...

dc.description.provenance[en]

My questions are,
1)  On this documentation page
<https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC5x/Localization+L10n>on
localization it states "Metadata localization: DSpace associates each
metadata field value with a language code (though it may be left empty,
e.g. for numeric values)."  Is this the process governing the creation of
these bracketed values?  Is there a more robust description of how this
works?
2)  How are they assigned per-field?  Through a configuration (if so,
which)?   Based on the field's contents?
3)  The essential question: why are we getting different versions of the
same field?  Note that some items were ingested through SWORD, while others
were manually uploaded, or Bulk uploaded in Simple Archive Format.
4)  In terms of bulk editing
<https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSDOC6x/Batch+Metadata+Editing#BatchMetadataEditing-EditingtheCSV>
 through
the UI via CSV, can values in, say, dc.publisher[] and dc.publisher[en_US],
be left in separate columns for reupload, or must they be consolidated?
5) is there a way to prevent these bracketed values from being
assigned/created?  Having divergent versions of the same field in the edit
metadata CSV complicates our metadata administration workflows.

Thank for for any insight you can provide!

-Gabe