Dear list,

I'm testing DSpace version 5.8 to 6.3 upgrade. Immediately after performing
the database migrations successfully and starting Tomcat I initiated a
`dspace index-discovery -b`. I thought something was strange because I
didn't see any indexing progress in dspace.log (despite high CPU usage),
and then when I browsed the home page I saw many errors such as this in
dspace.log:

2020-02-03 10:27:14,485 ERROR org.dspace.browse.ItemCountDAOSolr @
caught exception:
org.dspace.discovery.SearchServiceException: Invalid UUID string: 1
2020-02-03 13:20:20,475 ERROR
org.dspace.app.xmlui.aspect.discovery.AbstractRecentSubmissionTransformer
@ Caught SearchServiceException while retrieving recent submission
for: home page
org.dspace.discovery.SearchServiceException: Invalid UUID string: 111210

I checked Solr's search core and saw that the search.resourceid fields were
indeed integers instead of UUIDs. On a guess I stopped the indexing,
deleted the search cores¹, touched an empty file in
dspace/solr/search/conf/reindex.flag², and restarted Tomcat. After Tomcat
started back up the re-indexing started and correctly indexed
search.resourceid as UUIDs.

After the initial reindex.flag indexing completes, subsequent manual
indexing runs with `dspace index-discovery -b` work correctly. This only
seems to happen the first time after upgrade—I tried deleting all search
documents and starting a `dspace index-discovery -b` and it behaved
correctly.

Has anyone seen this? Is it worth filing a bug? Are there perhaps some
fixes in the as-of-yet-unreleased 6.4 that would address this?

Regards,

¹ curl -s 'http://localhost:8080/solr/search/update?stream.body=
² https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC6x/Upgrading+DSpace
--