Hi,

Our DSpace instance has been steadily growing over the years and now has over
18,000 records, all with one or more full text files attached (taking up around
106GB of disk space). We are on DSpace 6.2 and currently only have one
assetstore configured.

Whilst we have no issues with dspace operation/performance, my System and
Network colleagues are reporting problems when their scheduled backup jobs of
the DSpace server are trying to run as they are timing out, which they suspect
is due to the large number of files on the server.

To resolve this, they have asked me about the possibility of splitting the
current dspace filesystem in to a number of smaller filesystems (which they can
then back up in parallel, reducing the overall time to back up the dspace
server).

To that end they have asked about the possibility of splitting the assetstore
in to a number of filesystems and creating softlinks to these from the
assetstore - e.g. adding 9 new filesystems for clusters of 10 assetstore
subdirectories - i.e.:

.../dspace/assetstore/10 -> .../assetstores10-19/10
.../dspace/assetstore/11 -> .../assetstores10-19/11
.../dspace/assetstore/12 -> .../assetstores10-19/12
.... ...
.../dspace/assetstore/20 -> ../assetstores20-29/20

Has anyone ever done anything like this? Any reasons why that wouldn't work?

I can, of course, add another assetstore alongside the existing one, but my
understanding is that this would only be used going forwards, and so wouldn't
address the large number of files in the current assetstore - unless there is a
way to then distribute the existing assetstore across a number of smaller
assetstores?

Has anyone else in the community had issues like this? And, if so, any (other)
suggestions on how best to address the problem?

Cheers,

Mike

Michael White
Senior Developer
Business Applications and Integrations
Information Services

4B19, Cottrell
University of Stirling
Stirling
FK9 4LA

Tel:  +44 (0)1786 466877
Email:  michael.wh...@stir.ac.uk<mailto:michael.wh...@stir.ac.uk>
Web: stir.ac.uk/informationservices<http://www.stir.ac.uk/informationservices>
[cid:image001.png@01D66FEC.8FC33BB0]<https://www.facebook.com/stirlinglibrary/>[cid:image002.png@01D66FEC.8FC33BB0]<https://twitter.com/isstirling>[cid:image003.png@01D66FEC.8FC33BB0]<https://www.instagram.com/isstirling/>[cid:image004.png@01D66FEC.8FC33BB0]<https://www.youtube.com/user/infoservicesatstir>
[Banner]<https://www.stir.ac.uk/>