/etc/ldap/ldap.conf is not involved in this, because the JVM has its
own LDAP implementation and does not use OpenLDAP.

Whenever you see errors pointing to something like "PKIX path
building," it means that SSL/TLS is validating a certificate but
cannot find a sequence of signer certificates that ends at a
self-signed certificate that it has been told to trust.

In Java, "told to trust" means that that certificate is in
$JRE_HOME/jre/lib/security/cacerts, or some other suitable certificate
database identified by the system property 'javax.net.ssl.trustStore'.
Here's some documentation as a starting point:

https://docs.oracle.com/javase/8/docs/technotes/guides/security/jsse/JSSERefGuide.html#CustomizingStores

Also this article might help:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6908948/java-sun-security-provider-certpath-suncertpathbuilderexception-unable-to-find

Here are my own notes on how to install my own CA certificate in the
default trust store:

  'cd' to $JRE_HOME/jre/lib/security

  Make a copy of 'cacerts' for error recovery.

  keytool -import \
          -alias my-root \
          -file /some/path/to/my-root.pem \
          -keystore cacerts

On Thu, Nov 12, 2020 at 01:09:35PM +0200, Sean Carte wrote:
> Thanks for the response, Alan.
>
> It seems the problem for me is that our ldap (AD) server is using a PKI
> certificate, which appears to be self-signed. I really don't understand how
> that works. But from what I've read, that's what's causing the problem.

Yes, that certificate won't be in your JVM's trust store unless you
add it.

--
Mark H. Wood
Lead Technology Analyst