Thanks for revisiting this! There is detail here which I have never seen,
especially step e) . I will probably attempt a removal/re-installation of
Solr in a few hours. Here is the results of my status checks, using curl:
root@media:~# curl http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/cores
{
  "responseHeader":{
    "status":0,
    "QTime":70},
  "initFailures":{},
  "status":{}}
root@media:~# curl http://localhost:8983/solr/admin/cores?action=STATUS
{
  "responseHeader":{
    "status":0,
    "QTime":1},
  "initFailures":{},
  "status":{}}
root@media:~#

... I don't see any DSpace names mentioned in these returns, so I am
guessing there is an issue here.