I was looking for a solution to this issue not only for DSpace 6.x, but
another application I use "GeoServer".  See this "
https://www.geosolutionsgroup.com/blog/geosolutions-lo4shell/"; for their
solution "log4j-1.2.17-norce.jar" for Log4J and their explanation of the
differences between Log4J and Log4J2. I replaced (in place without a
rebuild) the Log4J 1.2.17 library on a test server, restarted tomcat and it
appeared to work for the small tests I completed. I hope this may help some
others.

***Note -  I'm NOT affiliated with this organization and use at your own
RISK.

BW