He needs to remove the old nodejs package and also remove the Node.js 10.x
distributions repository file before upgrading to the new version. He can
do this:

1) sudo apt purge nodejs
2) sudo rm -rf /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nodesource.list
3) sudo curl -sL https://deb.nodesource.com/setup_14.x | bash -
4) sudo apt install nodejs
5) node --version