I noticed that behavior with Iowa as well.  I'm curious how they made that
work.  If I add a "scope" argument to our test and dev server URLs (or to
the demo site), DSpace is not treating that as a search; the display
remains as if I was browsing and no facets appear.

I think for us though, the biggest loss would be the inability to have
facets customized per collection. We have a custom set for our ETD
collection that makes use of the additional metadata fields available in
ETD-ms (department, program, degree level etc). I assume that since facets
now only display on search results, they must all fall within the default
set.

- Darryl