On our servers, Tomcat runs as the "tomcat" user, so all our source files
are owned by that user and group, as is the DSpace target group.  It's been
a while since I did a fresh install, but I probably did the initial setup
of our target directory something like this:

     sudo mkdir /dspace
     sudo chown tomcat:tomcat /dspace
     sudo chmod 2775 /dspace

Then I would have run the "ant fresh_install" as the "tomcat" user.

Your setup make be slightly different of course, but it looks to me like
whatever user you are running "ant" as does not have permissions to
actually write to your "/dspace" directory.  I'd start with looking at
permissions.

- Darryl