We are looking to suppress the abstract for items with an embargo, or
perhaps replace the abstract with some sort of "This item is under an
embargo" message.  99.9% of the time this will be for theses deposited into
DSpace via SWORD, wo they will have a value set for the embargo.field.lift
field.
This is how we've handled it for our current DSpace 6.x instance  -- by
modifying crosswalks and the item display and using the presence of that
field as an indicator of when to replace the abstract.

I've (successfully) experimented a bit with similar changes to the Angular
frontend, but it seems the better place to tackle this in DSpace 7.x would
be in the backend, in the API code somewhere, so that the abstract isn't
exposed via the API at all.

Has anyone tackled something like this before?  Any hints on where in the
backend I might begin?  I assume I'd be looking to modify code in the
dspace-api module?  Perhaps during some stage where the
browse/search/individual record is assembled and converted to JSON for
return?

Thanks!

- Darryl