Infinite thanks!  At your suggestion, I restored my 7.2.1 database, changed
the db.dialect entry in my local.cfg and ran the database update script.
This time there were no errors.  Likewise, after a server restart the
DSpace webapp started successfully and my initial queries suggest all is
well.  So problem solved!  That could have taken me weeks to find if
ever... I had visually scanned local.cfg.EXAMPLE for changes, but I
completely missed the difference in db.dialect.

Thanks again!

Mike