Thanks for the advice, Michael.

I do wonder, though, why the /dspace/etc/ directory is missing in 7.x? It
doesn't seem to be there in:
https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/tree/main/dspace

I took a copy from a 6.x installation, and ran it with psql. Apart from a
couple of errors, it seemed to work and I can now deposit items.

ERROR:  relation "workflowitem" does not exist
LINE 1: ...setval('workflowitem_seq', max(workflow_id)) FROM workflowit...
                                                             ^
ERROR:  relation "tasklistitem" does not exist
LINE 1: ...setval('tasklistitem_seq', max(tasklist_id)) FROM tasklistit...

Sean