Hi, DSpace itself doesn't look after SSL certificates directly. This is
probably managed by your Apache HTTPD or Tomcat server.
In some simple setups, Tomcat (see: server.xml) will manage the SSL
certificate directly.
It is quite common to have Apache or nginx in front of Tomcat, handling the
SSL, and then proxying requests/responses in cleartext with the Tomcat
server.

See
https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC6x/Installing+DSpace#InstallingDSpace-DSpaceoverHTTPS

for some more details and recommendations.

In terms of actually renewing the certificate, that will depend on the
provider. If it's a LetsEncrypt certificate you can hopefully renew for
free using the certbot tool. If it's a paid certificate you'll need to
contact a provider and follow their renewal process.

Hope this helps!

Kim