Fixed it.  Problem was I didn't have "solr-statistics-server" predefined in
config/modules/solr-statistics.cfg which broke subsequent URL creation
making my solr server URL look like this:   https://localhost:8983//solr
 (double //'s).   Added this to my local.cfg and things started working as
you'd expect:

solr-statistics.server = http://localhost:8983/solr/statistics