Hi,

The REST API must be available via a public IP address if you plan to make
the User Interface available via a public IP address.  Keep in mind the
user interface runs in a user's browser... which means the user's browser
MUST be able to contact your REST API.  In other words, if the UI is public
then the REST API must be public.  The REST API can only use localhost if
the UI is also using localhost.

A 500 error generally means the frontend cannot communicate with the
backend. See our common installation
issues:
https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/Installing+DSpace#InstallingDSpace-CommonInstallationIssues

You also should be aware of the troubleshooting guide, as it's a good way
to debug issues and determine what the cause may be:
https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSPACE/Troubleshoot+an+error#Troubleshootanerror-DSpace7.x(orabove)

Tim