The answer here depends on the version of DSpace.  The "upload.max" setting
only works in DSpace 6 and below.

As of DSpace 7 (and above), the correct settings are those
"spring.servlet.*" settings detailed by BW.  This is because the file
upload limitations are now enforced by Spring Boot.

See also the DSpace 7 File Upload step
documentation:
https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSDOC7x/Submission+User+Interface#SubmissionUserInterface-ConfiguringtheFileUploadstep

Tim