The method below would be vulnerable to replay attacks, since anyone
seeing the encrypted credentials would just be able to append them to any URL
to get that EPerson's access.  If you use it, have the remote app's HTTP
client use an encrypted (HTTPS) channel.

It might be easier to code it using HTTP Basic Authentication, where
the username and password are sent in an HTTP header in a very standard
manner.  You'd still need an encrypted channel to prevent replay attacks.

On the DSpace end, though, you could accept the authentication by adding
a stackable authentication method (see AuthenticationMethod interface)
that picks out the username and password from the Basic Auth cookie and
authenticates them against an EPerson.  There is code to do this
already in the LightweightNetworkInterface patch, see the wiki page for
pointers to that patch.

I'd also recommend looking at the Shibboleth patch someone posted
some months ago, this is exactly the sort of thing Shibboleth is good for.
(I haven't had a chance to check it out yet, alas.)

    -- Larry