Dear Subscribers,

Over the past day or two I've been testing Amazon's Simple Storage
Service (S3):

 http://www.amazon.com/gp/browse.html?node=16427261

At this point I've merely been using it to backup web servers and
development directories. This has involved the simple upload of
compressed tarballs (using the Java app. jSh3ll) but also the
synchronising of file systems (using the Ruby app. s3sync).

In all, I've been pleasantly surprised by the results. It would seem
that the S3 storage system promises to be more resilient than anything
I could build at a reasonable cost.

Although I've only been using S3 for remote backup, it seems that it
can also be used as a live file system for storing and retrieving data
for web apps. I am wondering then, if anyone, may be able to suggest
how it might be possible to configure (cajole) DSpace-1.4 into using S3
as an assetstore. The Amazon blurb says that S3:

`Uses standards-based REST and SOAP interfaces designed to work with any
Internet-development toolkit.'

Best regards,

 Richard MAHONEY

--
Richard MAHONEY | internet: http://indica-et-buddhica.org/
Littledene      | telephone/telefax (man.): +64 3 312 1699