Hi All,

We have a number of collections in Cambridge that are have been entered
as 'Dark' with no anonymous access to the items. Unfortunately,  these
items still show up in the search and browse listings in dspace. We have
discussed a number of strategies and would like some advice:

1. Remove the collections from the lucene and browse indexes.
Effectively hiding them from all users.
2. Alter  browse/search to return items that the user has permission to
see by adding a authorization check when building the results. This
option is quite messy because it complicates the entire browse/search ui.
3. Mask meta data from unauthorized users in the browse/search results
mechanism.
4. Alter the search/browse sql search to return only authorized items
(non trivial).
5. Add authorization check at the Item level to  mask out meta data for
unauthorized users. in the Item.find(context,id) there would be a
canRead() canEdit() check.

Currently I vote for number 5, because it solves the oai harvesting
problem, but I'm not sure of the ramifications of  adding an
authorization check to retrieve an Item.

Thanks in advance.
James Dickson