We've got a couple patches to the LNI stuff from John Fawcett of
CARET which allow one to create collections/communities via LNI and
Update/Delete Items. I don't see why the PAckager framework couldn't
also be tailored to allow creating items without files.

I don't see why the Submission UI in Manakin or JSPUI couldn't be
made more flexible in this regard, I'd also add that with
Configurable Submission, this should be a bit of a no-brainer.

-Mark

On Apr 20, 2007, at 12:00 PM, Martin Courtois wrote:

> Hi Robert,
>
> We're testing the possibility of using the DSpace simple archive
> format
> and item importer to create a DSpace record without a corresponding
> item.  Here's what we're doing:
>
> 1. Create the records in the dublin_core.xml format as described in
> the
> "Item Importer and Exporter/DSpace simple archive format" section of
> the DSpace documentation.
>
> 2. Assemble all the dublin_core.xml files into the DSpace simple
> archive
> format (described in the same section of the documentation), but leave
> out the contents and file portions.  So, it might look like this:
>
> archive_directory/
>    item_000/
>       dublin_core.xml
>    item_001/
>       dublin_core.xml
>    item_002/
>       dublin_core.xml
> etc.
>
> 3.  Run the item importer.
>
> We've completed only step 1, so I'm not sure this works.  I'll send a
> more complete description once we're further along.
>
> Marty
>
> Martin Courtois
> Information Technology Assistance Center
> 509 Hale Library
> Kansas State University
> Manhattan KS 66506
> Phone: 785 532-4428
> Fax: 785 532-3199
> E-mail: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>
> Quoting "BEAZLEY, Robert" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:
>
>> Hello all,
>>

>> Is it possible to add items to DSpace without uploading a file? We
>> have a
>> need to add citations to our repository where we may not have the
>> right to
>> distribute the actual article itself. At the moment we're just using
>> placeholder text file but we'd like to be able to do away with this
>> if it's
>> at all possible.
>>

>> Thanks in advance,
>>

>> Robert Beazley
>> Application Developer
>> Australian Nuclear Science and Technology Organisation
>> PMB 1, Menai NSW Australia 2234
>> T +61 2 9717 7791
>> E [EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

Mark R. Diggory - DSpace Systems Manager
MIT Libraries, Systems and Technology Services
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Office: E25-131
Phone: (617) 253-1096