I have discovered something that I believe is a bug, or then there's
something I simply don't get: language flags assigned to metadata fields
in an item template seem to be ignored completely.

How to reproduce (tested this with dspace 1.4.2):

1) Create an item template for a collection
2) In the template, assign a default value to Title for example, and set
the language for this field to something else than your default language
3) Start submitting to the new collection: the default Title from the
template shows up, all is well so far..
4) Review the metadata of the submitted entry. Your default Title is
still there, but the language flag is now set to whatever you have
defined in dspace.cfg/default.language! If default.language is not set,
the Title field will not have any language definition at all.

So to me it appears that the default.language parameter overrides the
item template languages, even when default.language is undefined.

Any thoughts on this? Bug or feature? Any workaround?

best regards

Mathias Hjelt
HANKEN