From: Larry Stone [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: July 20, 2007 4:11 PM
To: James Rutherford
Cc: Kyle Brentnell; dspace-tech@lists.sourceforge.net; 'Weinberg, Ben'
Subject: Re: [Dspace-tech] Running DSpace in read-only mode.

> On Thu, Jul 19, 2007 at 05:59:39PM -0400, Kyle Brentnell wrote:
> > 2) Change the authenticateInternal method in the
> > AuthenticationManager.java class to always return "BAD_ARGS" or
> > "NO_SUCH_USER", etc. to prevent users from logging into Dspace.  To
> > allow access again, restore the original authenticateInternal code (and
compile and deploy of course).

An easier way to implement this is to create a new stubbed-out
AuthenticationMethod plugin that always returns "NO_SUCH_USER" or some other
fatal error, add that to the source, and then just change the DSpace
Configuration to make it the only method on the authentication stack
(commenting-out the original lines for easy restoration).  Then, to restore
normal operation, all you have to do is put the configuration back and
restart the servlet container.  It saves changing code and compiling a
second time, and makes it easier to engage "read only" mode again in the
future.

    -- Larry