I forgot to answer to the list. here goes the reply:

  > I seem to recall reading somewhere that it is possible for users who are
authorized by LDAP and auto-registered by DSpace to be automatically added
to a group in DSpace at the same time as they are registered.

  You are almost right ;)

  > Is this possible with LDAP authentication?

  As far as i know, it isn't supported in LDAP auth method.

  > If yes, is this also possible with RADIUS authentication??

But, its supported on the Radius auth! We needed an automatic method to add people to certain groups, and since we were building RADIUS we thought that we should make it as practical as possible.

  So, we support auto_add feature. Let me explain how it works:

When it reads the Radius answer, it looks for an radius filed called "Reply-Message". If you have "Group_TEST=yes" in the radius answer to that user, he will be added to the group TEST. If you have "Group_TEST=no", the user will be removed from that group.

note: you need to create the group by hand. It was an failsafe option we made, the have control of all groups.

  All logs are escaped to general dspace.conf

  Marcelo