Hi folks,

Our library wishes to start using dc.creator instead of dc.contributor.author
for author information.  (We may extend this to dc.creator.personalname and
.corporatename.)

One of the tasks I must accomplish is to change our existing 150 records.  I
have noticed, in the metadatavalue table, that dc.element.qualifier is assigned
using the field metadata_field_id.  In other words, records with
dc.contributor.author data are assigned a code 3 in the field
metadata_field_id.  In my test DSpace instance, I updated that field to 9,
dc.creator.  With superficial level testing it appears to have worked on the
few records I tried (e.g. author browse).  I made the change using pgadmin iii.

I am considering using this method to change the dc.element.qualifier
assignment for author data for our 150 production instance records in its
metadatavalue table, e.g. changing the "3s" to "9s".  I've examined the
ER-diagram, and am trying to foresee all the possible negative consequences,
perhaps something in the java programming??...  Does anyone know if this method
may pose a problem with our 1.4.1 DSpace?

Thank you,
Sunny

Version 1.4.1
University of Hawaii