Hi Robert,

as for i18n the grade of internationalization depends on the version
you're using. With 1.5 the i18n possibilities were largely improved.

As for 1.4.2 and below, you can simply

- drop the Messages_LOCALE.properties in
[dspace-source]/config/language-packs
- run ant update
- stop your servlet container
- deploy dspace.war
- start your servlet container

This will lead to the use of all Messages_LOCALE.properties provided
based on the user's browser settings with Messages.properties as a fallback.

No further elements (like emails and so on) are i18n at this point.
If you want more possibilities, you got to use this patch
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1450491&group_id=19984&atid=319984
which has become part of DSpace 1.5 JSPUI.

This makes i18n configurable via dspace.cfg, i.e. listing supported
languages. The user is able to select his preferred language from the
languages supported and the language settings will work on all "text"
related parts (apart from controlled vocabulary).

How to configure the multilingual settings is described in
dspace/docs/configure.html#multilingualui

hope that helps

Claudia Jürgen