Richard:

I do see "idle in transaction" messages.  I don't see that many at any
one time, and they clear up ( go to idle ), and most of the connections
are usually idle.  I think I've read it's fine to see the "idle in
transaction" message.

If you were to set db.maxconnections to a low number ( perhaps the
default ) in your production server, would you get this error message?
Have you seen this happen at your site?

I'm wondering if I have to change my configuration some how, as
described in the following document:

http://tomcat.apache.org/tomcat-5.5-doc/jndi-datasource-examples-howto.h
tml

Do you have these parameters set up: